Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Re-instating 4.86
13-02-2014, 12:48 AM
RE: Re-instating 4.86
(13-02-2014 12:35 AM)Thraag Wrote:  Everything I have seems to run better with Windows 7 Professional which runs 32bit and 64bit programs with no problems at all on all the pc's I use for this game (and others)
One other thing of course is that there is no longer any support at all for XP which would disincline any return to it,

By run better do you mean freelancer is improved under 7? mine runs fine, but occasionally when I exit freelancer and start it up again the light maps or something goes funny.

Also I have just found that age of empires seems better in xp than 7.
Also xp uses less system resources so my older equipment can better handle newer games.

As for support. I think even with support + antivirus + 3rd party firewall, is like using a cotton bud as a plug for your sink Smile I only use windows for freelancer, linux for everything else Smile If I was more tech savy I would be running freelancer in linux too!

In war we hope for peace, but in peace we should never hope for war. Guy Sajer
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2014, 02:07 AM
Well as Xp only recognises 70% of 4gig of memory and Windows 7 will recognise up to 64gig plus dx11 support I think I will stay with 7, I stated that everything I run seems to run better under Windows 7. I do not have crashes or blue screens of death, Nor do I have any problems with viruses and I dont have to use 3rd party firewalls,
I anticipate playing Star Citizen upon release at the end of this year and I do not see (as yet) any XP support (or Linux for that matter) So as I stated in reply to your question. NO I do not have any problems with Windows 7 Professional, I do not know what version of 7 you were using (Home ?) but I am happy with mine.
Also there is the unanswered question regarding the Attero device which WIki does not seem to recognise in Freelancer ?
That I think is the end of that subject for me......
13-02-2014, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2014 01:50 PM by RustGuard.)
Makes complete sense. If I didnt use Linux I wouldnt be using XP either.
Interesting linux question about SC? in their original questionnaire they asked about linux support and there was more % of yes than I expected. Unfortunatly they have gone the Direct X route so...

1. no Mac support
2. no Linux support Sad

Edit- Anyone running freelancer under win 8?

In war we hope for peace, but in peace we should never hope for war. Guy Sajer
13-02-2014, 04:16 PM
See Doc's Thread "I'm done"
Just about says it all about Windows 8 (which is mainly for tablet/touch screen computing)
13-02-2014, 07:17 PM
If you use Linux as your main OS, there is no reason you can't just use XP for a few games. I run a VM in XP for some old games that will not run under Windows 7 and will not run under DOS (too new).

I would not advise using XP as your main OS, and it's old and full of security flaws that will never be fixed once they ditch the support in a few months. It's over 12 years old.....Come on guys, time to move on.

Freelancer is a Microsoft game, so that means it's incompatible with anything that is not Microsoft. Believe me if it ran under Linux, Paulus would be running Linux on the server as well, much cheaper then holding a Windows license.

They may release SC for Linux yet, it's quite popular, even if they just release the server binary for it.

Windows 7 it's faster then Windows XP, in general runs better, smoother and better recovery from errors.

[Image: Extronic_sig.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user